There is hardly anyone who has not faced a lower back pain in their life. It can get triggered by a plethora of reasons and often it is difficult to guess the right one. Some of the common causes of such pain in the lumber region are lifting heavy materials, prolonged sitting, fall, excessive reaching to get something, or smoking. There are other reasons as well…
What are the symptoms?
- The symptoms range from sharp and stabbing pain to a dull ache. It could be intermittent or positional. Sometimes, the lower back pain occurs after a severe physical injury, like an accident. You must consult with a doctor if the pain lasts longer than 3 days or if it hurts very badly.
- In case of a lower back pain, you should find it difficult to move forward or stand upright. There are stabbing or shooting sensations in the area. Remember, pain that lasts for more than three months is considered chronic.
- If the lower back pain is so severe that it is accompanied by loss of bowel or bladder control, weakness in the leg, groin numbness, or fever, you should immediately see a doctor. These are the symptoms of something very serious which should be immediately considered.
- Sometimes, the lower back pain is also due to a rupture in the disc inside or a bulge. This often affects the sciatic nerve and the pain may go down a leg from the buttock area. This often happens with heavy exercising or a muscle strain.
Reasons for back pain
- Now, that you know the symptoms, you should know that there are quite a few culprits for causing that pain and discomfort to you. Look at your heavy, overstuffed bag that you carry to your workplace every day. You must be carrying its weight on your shoulders with a support from your lower back. So, if possible, reduce the load as much as possible.
- Are you overdoing it at the gym? Sometimes, over-exercising cause lower back pain. So, start exercise gently and do not over-exert yourself.
- You should also consider your posture. Do not slouch while working for long hours on the desk. You can also try sitting by resting your legs on a low stool. The shoulders and the back should be well supported.
- Be aware and you should be able to get rid of the problems of your lower back. Understand and pay heed to the slightest symptoms so that you can reach a doctor at the earliest.
So, is there any discomfort in your lower back right now? You know what you should do!